Friday, February 25, 2011

Yet Another Project Completed !

This is an War of 1812 era British Regulation Haversack for a common soldier.  Its 20 inches wide and 14 inches high with a 2 inch wide strap that 34 inches long.  The originals were made of  heavy  linen or cotton canvas, this one is made of Sun Forager canvas.  I had a piece of Sun Forager exactly the right size to make the bag & the strap, so the goddesses of sewing obviously wished it to be so!  And yes, its totally hand sewn, not a machine stitch anywhere. 

DSCN0349

I still need to add a Broad Arrow over GR stencil that marks this as property of the King.  Research as to the proper design of the 1812 era Broad Arrow & GR has yet to give me a good model to work from.  Few original haversacks exist & they’re usually in very poor physical condition.  So I’m still hunting a decent picture of an original stencil to work from.  

I plan to use it to hold my oilcloth rain poncho & my red matchcote.  It’s a snug fit but they both go in.   Its much nicer to have them hung up in a haversack in my lodge rather than in a clothing box or laying on top of my bedding.  Easier to find in the dark too.  Things on my cot have as way of ending up on the ground. 

No comments:

Blog Archive