Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Upgrades to My Personal Hooter & Camp Flag

IMG_0255

I got this Personal Hooter for my camp back in 2011 at the EPR Mud-E-Vous.  I added strips of 1x2’s to the bottom to elevate it off the ground a bit and then painted the bottom with dark brown exterior latex paint so the wood wouldn’t inhale ground moisture and crack. 

IMG_0256

The Hooter came with an electric blue plastic beach pail when I bought it.  This worked just fine and was  easy to clean but the bucket wasn’t something you could just bald faced carry to the hooter while in a primitive camp.  Bright Beach Blue Plastic just isn’t 18th century.  So I went shopping for a proper Hooter Honey Bucket.

IMG_0261

I found said Honey Pot at this absolutely awesome hardware store in Culpeper.  No, this isn’t a stock pot repurposed, it is actually designed to be used as a Privy Honey Pot.  This I can carry through camp, even though speckled ironware isn’t 18th century either.  It was a good upgrade but not a perfect one.  I needed to use 2x4’s inside the hooter box to position the pot so it caught everything.  I needed a taller and somewhat wider pot.

IMG_0259

Which I found at my local Family Dollar store.  OK, this is a stock pot repurposed, but its an exact fit – exactly the right height and width for my Hooter Box. 

IMG_0265

Isn’t this an awesome fit?

IMG_0258

I did need to put spacers in the box to position the pot properly.  I used 2x2’s because they took the least trimming to do the job.  Then I caulked all the joints and edges so there was nowhere for moisture to collect. 

IMG_0266 

Here’s the finished pot interior with exterior latex paint so its easy to clean if that becomes necessary. 

IMG_0268

I’ve also wrapped the top section of my flag pole holder so the paint on the wooden flag pole doesn’t get worn off when the wind pushes things around. 

French Flag

Here’s the flag for my camp. 

IMG_0205

Here’s the flag at my Primitive Man-less Settlement camp.  The brass grommets have been removed, the grommet holes patched and 4 ties sewn onto the flag to attached it to its pole. 

 

No comments:

Blog Archive