Saturday, January 31, 2015

Beaching It at Ocean City

My friend Bruce has a share time condo in Ocean City.  His share is the last week in January right around his birthday.  I’ve been invited to join him, Jodie, Carly & Dean for Beach Week for years.  This year I actually got to go!

Ocean City (5)Afternoon at the Beach Day 1

January isn’t exactly Ocean City’s prime time.  Almost no one is about and most of the restaurants, retail stores & the boardwalk are closed.  Its actually pretty surreal.  But enough places are open to make it fun and the scenery is awesome.

Ocean City (3) Looks Like Lake Michigan in November

Lake Michigan back at my home town looks like this pretty much all the time.  It was enough to almost make me homesick.  Almost because it was Michigan biting cold with a stiff wind.

Ocean City (21)6 ft. Curls  Mid Afternoon on Day 2

So I wandered around the beach some; had a grand visit with Bruce, Jodie, Carly & Dean: and generally just plain had a good time.  There was a Greek omelet, a fine oyster dinner out and plenty of good food whipped up by Jodie too.

Ocean City (7) Seaweed Flotsam

For all that the winter beach at Ocean City looks like the winter beach at St. Joseph there’s never any seaweed flotsam on a great lakes beach.

Ocean City (12) Wind Patterns in the Sand

I’ve always loved the wind & water patterns in a beach’s sand, the ones that get made overnight & cover the beach until people footprints obliterate them.  January doesn’t have many folks about to make beach footprints.

Ocean City (13) Snow Fence Shadows on the Saw Grass

This too is another sight from a Michigan Beach calendar.  Except there wasn’t any snow or ice about.

Ocean City (27) Seagulls Chillin’

It was quite windy, windy enough to keep most the seagulls on their feet rather than their wings.  This group was checking out the tide line for snacks.

Ocean City (17) Trawler on the Horizon

It was a cold & biting day day to be fishing.  Hope this trawler’s haul was worth it.

Ocean City (16) Frozen Downspout

This downspout was on the beach side of the condo building.  It didn’t thaw much while I was there.

Ocean City (44)Dawn at Ocean City Day 3

Dawn just before the sun cleared the horizon, the 1st dawn I’ve ever seen over open water.  I grew up on the east side of Lake Michigan so I’m accustomed to sunsets over the water rather than sunrises.  Both are magic times of the day.

Ocean City (38) Surreal Seagull

I’m not sure just how I managed this shot with a “ghost” seagull, but I think it’s way cool.

Hopefully I’ll get to do this next year.  I’ll pack a warmer coat, canvas insulated overalls, and good gloves next time too.  I underestimated the cold factor & could only spend a short time outside taking pictures. 

Thank you Bruce for inviting me – I had a wonderful time.

No comments:

Blog Archive