Thursday, July 9, 2015

Camper Van Bed – Phase 2

Oh Faithful Readers, you may remember I built a bed for my Chevy Express Cargo Van last July.  The bed was quite functional as a bed but not so much as a storage module.
Bed Unit (12) Bed Unit Phase #1
Well that has been remedied.  The plywood piece under the mattress has been cut into 2 pieces lengthwise and each piece has been secured to the bed box with 3 door hinges.
Bed Unit (13) The Bed Box with Access Panels Closed
The idea is to have 2 storage areas under the sleeping area.
Bed Unit (14) Large Primary Storage Compartment
I intend to use this compartment for bulky items that are needed in camp but not used much when on the road.
Bed Unit (15) Smaller Secondary Storage Compartment
I will probably use this smaller storage area for things the van might need like jumper cables, the tool box, the bungee cargo net and the like. No fluids though, I don’t want to find out something is leaking when it oozes out from under the bed.
Bed Unit (16)  Phase #2 Complete
Obviously I still need to sand, stain and put a finish on the bed.  I’m also cutting 2 hand holds in each end to make removing the bed from the van easy for 2 people to manage.

No comments:

Blog Archive