Monday, May 9, 2011

Life Made Other Plans

OK, so I was scheduled to be at the Old Middlebrook Village Day from 9am until 4 pm on Saturday.  My registration confirmation said I was to set up near the Civil War folks (I’m representing the 1760’s) and that I could camp out Friday night with them on site.  Fantastic.  I packed up all the proper toys & arrived on site at 7 pm.  No one else was there.  No Civil War folks or tents, no Village Day folks, just some food tent setups, booth markers & 2 porta-potties.  Well at least the hooters are here.  As I was contemplating  how to proceed an Augusta County law officer showed up & informed me I couldn’t camp there overnight.  Set up yes, camp no.  Great.  I don’t have the funds to either drive home & come back in the morning or to stay at the local KOA/motel/truck stop.  Called everyone I knew in the area, nobody was home.  Guess I’m a no show for OMVD.

So I called Gypsy Jane who is in Lynchburg this weekend.  I had planned to go camp with her Saturday night after OMVD, instead I headed over there Friday night.  Got there about 10 pm, which made for a rather long day but at least I was having quality friend time.  She’s moving out of her Escaper RV & into her Holiday Rambler RV, so there was plenty to work on Saturday.  About noon her friend Danny said there was some sort of history thing going on across the highway in New London. 

NL03

NL04

The something involved our OVPR friends, the Itinerate Musicians – the weekend had just improved wonderfully.

NL05NL07

I don’t know the mandolin players name, but that’s Randy with the Preacher.

NL09

There were all kinds of things going on – a blacksmith, soap making, a Civil War camp, quilting, spinning, 1700’s children’s games, a bluegrass band, various other period crafts, displays on New London’s history and carriage rides.

NL12

Some Horse-less Carriages too.  No rides in these though.

Saturday evening found Gypsy Jane & I camped at our favorite site in the Lynchburg IWL.  Sunday we ran some errands & moved her Escaper RV to the camp site so she could finish moving her things into her new home.  Then I headed home to unload my unused historic camp.  The canvas had gotten wet from the rain Saturday night, so now its laid out on my front yard to dry. 

Not the weekend I’d planned but a good weekend none the less.

1 comment:

Zeusiswatching said...

The two antique cars are so elegant.

Blog Archive