Monday, May 30, 2011

Shenandoah Long Rifles at Belle Grove

Its Memorial Day weekend, so its time for the Shenandoah Long Rifles’ Spring Rendezvous at Belle Grove farm in the lower Shenandoah valley.  The first time I attended this event it was cold, rainy, very muddy & I arrived on my Harley with my gear in my 12 cu. ft. trailer.  Had a wonderful time although getting my Harley back out of the field we park the “mules” in was a challenge.

MyCamp01

My Lodge

At that 1st event I was camped on a low cot 6” off the ground under 2 overlapping diamond flies.  My current camp is somewhat less austere.    I really like this setup & don’t plan on adding or changing much – I would like a wooden stew ladle & a cooking fork for the kitchen, 2 more lantern stands & better flap ties on the tent. 

Camp01

Of course a major part of any ‘Vous is the camp visiting.  Tales large & small must be told, lies swapped & a good laugh had by one & all.

Camp02a

It was dry but hot, so there was even more just socializing between friends than usual.

Camp07b

Also time for couples to just be out & about.

Camp08a

Holly was there – which meant there was a whole lot of laughter going around camp.

Camp11b

That’s Lou on the left, a seasoned hand at these affairs.

Camp13b

Sunday was hot enough that shirtless was the way to go if possible.

Camp14b

And the best way to nap was outside the tent – inside was a sure way to end up heat stressed & dehydrated.

Camp15b

There was rifle, smoothbore, archery & hawk throwing competitions.  If ya shoot it, ya gotta clean it.

CampFeed02

Saturday evening there’s always a camp potluck, these folks are helping lay the groaning board.   There was a cold buffet Sunday evening too but later in the day so I don’t have any pictures of it.

CampFeed08

A motley collection of rouges & scoundrels.

CampFeed12

Flick telling us about plans & needs for the EPR in Tidewater this September before dinner.

Morgans

There was a Civil War Confederate cavalry event at Belle Grove out near US 11.  A  couple from that event accepted our invitation & came for dinner Saturday.  Both horses are registered Morgans.

I arrived early Friday evening & got back home by midmorning on Memorial Day.  I had a great time even with the heat & have my internal psychic batteries once again charged up. 

P.S. To the fella who reads my blog who actually met me for the 1st time at this Vous – I really enjoyed meeting you, maybe next time it will be cool enough for me to sing.

No comments:

Blog Archive