Monday, April 30, 2012

April Labors

I’m currently not able to get any vacation time at work, which means both my house & history projects have all been put on hold & even routine house maintenance is hard to accomplish.  The lawn took off as it does each spring but is now in good shape & staying that way as long as I mow it weekly.  I have gotten a few small history projects done.

BritCanteen1BritCanteen2

I bought this Brit canteen at the OVPR and initially covered it with some Whitney Lachine blanket scraps.  The Whitney blanketing proved to be a burr magnet in the woods.

BritCanteen3

So I took the Whitney wool off & covered my new canteen as well as my Goose Bay Workshop tin lined copper canteen with scraps from a Brit military surplus blanket.  This works much better - the wool means the canteen doesn’t  clank when I walk & it keeps the canteen cooler too.  I didn’t have enough striped material for both canteens.  I also made up a bunch of egg carton + wood chips + wax fire starters.

My faithful blog readers may remember remember that I had a tree in my yard come down last year.

AprilTree1AprTree4

These are the before pictures

Well I did as much as I could with an ax, then borrowed a chain saw from a friend.  The chain saw was clearly the solution to this cleanup job, so I spent part of my tax refund on an electric 16” chainsaw of my own.

IMG_0745

IMG_0744

Here’s the current status pictures.  Clearly I’m not done but steady progress is being made.

IMG_0743

I expect this pile will be much bigger by the time I’m done.

April is the month when all my backyard critters reappear. 

IMG_0130

I had to move this fellow into the woods before I mowed the yard one day.  Two or three turtles show up in my yard each year.

IMG_0728IMG_0734

There have been skinks in my yard every year, and last year there were both adult & baby skinks around the Norfolk Pine stump.  So far this year there are several around the kitchen door porch.  I hope they eat ticks. 

1 comment:

Urchin said...

That turtle is an Eastern Box Turtle. Their populations have been declining so it's great they have a safe home in your back yard!

Blog Archive