Thursday, March 20, 2014

You’ll Get Bored They Said . . .

“I’m retiring as of February 1st”.  I’d say this and folks would look at me like I’d grown a third arm and say, “What are you going to DO?”  So I’d mention 4 or 5 things and they would still want to know what I was really “going to do”.   Ladies and gentlemen, I have never lacked for things to do.  Never.  Ever.  There are many many more things I would like to do than could ever be fit into one lifetime even if I had unlimited funds and a great deal more time to do them.  Which of course I do not.  But for those of you who want to know just what I am really up to . . .

Da Urchin and I finally actually and totally completed her Guest Bathroom.  The tile floor is done and I must say Da Urchin and her friend did a magnificent job of it.  The mirror-that-was-glued-to-the-wall is gone, a new section of drywall has been installed and a new mirror hung.  The walls have been painted and wainscoting has been installed.  The new light fixture is up.  The new vanity and faucet are in and all their related plumbing done properly.  The toilet has a new seal and the leaking tank washers have been replaced.  Everything that needed to be caulked has been caulked.  Da Urchin is a Mighty Caulker!  Mind you this all has been in progress since last July and there have been more trips to Lowe’s than I care to remember.  But its done and its awesome!

At my place I’m going through everything in my house and sorting stuff into keep it, sell it, donate it or toss it categories.  I’ve done the cupboard above the stove, the cupboard next to the stove and the stove drawer so far.  All the Revereware pots and pans have gotten polished and the oven has been cleaned.  Several boxes have been gone through also.  Books have been traded to McKay’s in Manasses and electronics recycled here in Greene.  Two new venetian blinds have been installed.

All my historic/rendezvous gear has been sorted, cleaned and repacked.  I’m ready to do some serious rendezvousing!  The van has been cleaned and some basic camping gear installed for spur of the moment adventuring.  I’m also cleaning and repairing what needs cleaning and repairing with my modern camp equipment.  The camera gear has been sorted and several pieces of new-to-me equipment acquired.  I’m reading and re-reading the instruction manuals and guide books for my gear – I’m finally going to actually get technically good at using what I own. 

Not much has happened outside yet, the weather hasn’t been too accommodating for yard work.  I have installed brass numbers on my house and trimmed the forsythia.  I didn’t get the forsythia trimmed last fall after they dropped their leaves, it was just too cold for that.  Yes I know most folks don’t trim their forsythia until after they bloom but the birds start nesting in mine before while they’re blooming.  They don’t finish the family raising until mid to late August and that leaves a monumental trimming job in the worst of the summer’s heat.  No thank you, I’ll trim them in the late fall or early spring when the branches are bare and I can see just what I’m doing. 

Not that my retirement has been all work and no play.  I’ve gone to the National Gallery with Jodie for Between Earth & Heaven: Byzantine Art from Greek Collections.  As an added bonus the sculpture The Dying Gaul as on display also.  (Seeing that piece had been on my bucket list since my 1st semester Art History class at Mary Washington College.)  It was well worth the trip into DC.   I’ve gone to 2 free live concerts in Charlottesville and attended a day of Jamestown Settlement’s Military Through the Ages.  (A separate post on the MTA event is in the works.)  Of course I’m also reading, reading and then reading some more.  I found the first 3 volumes of Sword & Sorceress on the McKay’s run and they followed me home. 

Throw in a couple of visits with various friends and you get the picture.  I’ve just begun my retirement and no I’m not bored even a little teeny tiny bit. 

No comments:

Blog Archive