Friday, July 11, 2014

Midwest Road Trip - Carey & Fostoria OH

My mother is buried next to my grandparents in the protestant cemetery just outside Carey Ohio.  I don’t get out this way often but when ever I go to Michigan I stop either going or coming. 

Carrie (1)

My Granddad, Grandma & Mother

 Carrie (3)  Family Graves & Shade Tree

Carey isn’t any bigger or smaller than its ever been.  There hasn’t been much in the way of new home construction but there is a nice new big Ace Hardware at the edge of town.  The town’s storefronts are mostly solid local entrepreneurial businesses.  The farmland starts right at the edge of town & was looking very healthy.

The main road was under construction & down to one lane each way so I took a county road to Fostoria.  This brought me past the county graveyard with its many military monuments.

Fostoria OH (5) Civil War & GAR

Ohio sent a great many lads to the Union Army during the Civil War so I wasn’t surprised to see this monument.

Fostoria OH (7) World War I

The brother to this statue stands along the bluff above Lake Michigan in my home town. 

Fostoria OH (1) Vietnam War

I haven’t been to the statue on the DC Mall that is shown here as an etching.

Fostoria OH (2)

Monument to a Confederate Ohio Soldier

This one surprised me.  Its quite large, the largest military monument to just one person in the cemetery.  The Linhart family also furnished the Union Army/GAR monument.  I’d like to know more about the family history.

From here I drove Ypsilanti MI & a coffee stop visit with Peter & Marsha.  Then it was on to my Marijo’s condo in Kentwood MI.  It was good to be back in my home state & better still to visit with old friends.

No comments:

Blog Archive