Friday, April 24, 2015

21st Annual Ft. Frederick Trade Fair – 4/23-26

I was only able to attend the 1st day of this year’s fair but I had a grand time.  I was able to arrive at the Fair site Wednesday afternoon to help Missy Clark set up her trade tent.  Thursday I visited with some old friends and tried out my new-to-me full frame DSLR.  The weather was rather chilly but at least it wasn’t overly windy or raining.

I’ve divided my Fair photos of note into 6 separate posts.  This allows folks to skip things that don’t catch their fancy and keeps the post’s length down to something manageable. So:

1.The Ladies with a Few Gents

2.The Men at the Fair

3.Fair Camps & Fort Barracks

4.Barkertown – Missy Clark Proprietor

5.Trade Goods of Note

6.Gourds by Ver Sacrum – A New Trader at the FFTF

Last year I drove to the Fair from my Urchin’s house, spent the day at the Fair, and then drove all the way back home all in one day.  This made for a very tired Hebron Valley Lady!  I also scouted out the NPS campsite at McCoy’s Ferry before the Fair gates opened.  This year I drove up to Big Pool Wednesday and stayed overnight at the McCoy’s Ferry campsite.  Thurday I attended the Fair and drove home late that afternoon.  This made for a very pleasant Fair outing.

McCoy's Ferry (8) Camp Site #2

McCoy’s Ferry is a National Forest style camping area.  There permanent building pit privy and 2 porta-johns on site.  Each of the 12 camp sites have a picnic table, a fire ring, a stand up cooking grill and a paved vehicle parking spot.  There are also 2 group camp areas at one end of the camping area.  All sites are 1st come, 1st served.  A picnic area and boat ramp are also part of the site.  The parking pads are nice and flat.

McCoy's Ferry (1) The Van Camper on Site

There was a bicyclist camped at the far end of the site from me.  It was fairly chilly so I made dinner in the van.

McCoy's Ferry (4) The Potomac River

The view from the site is very very peaceful.  This river level is normal for the April.  The campground is closed by NPS if flooding is a real danger.

McCoy's Ferry (7) Looking Downstream

The cost for all this beauty is $10 1 night, $5 for those with senior or military NPS passes.  You are expected to bring your water with you and take your trash with you when you leave.

No comments:

Blog Archive