Friday, August 26, 2011

Virginia Earthquake–August 23rd

OK, so today at 1:51 PM a 5.8 quake struck Virginia with an epicenter in Louisa County.  Quite a few buildings in Louisa suffered significant damage, 2 nuclear power plants shut themselves down (as designed & without other problems), the jail in Culpeper had to be evacuated to a nearby state prison due to building damage (which turned out to be minor & the jail folks were back home in less than 24 hours) and a whole lot of stores had most of there stock deposited on their floors.  The quake even did structural damage to the Washington Monument on the DC Mall (which hasn’t reopened) and did significant damage to the Washington Cathedral. 

And where was I during all of this?  On a country road between Brandy Station and Batna with a corn field on my left and cows in a pasture on my right.  Yes I felt the quake, I thought the road was just a bit rough.  Neither the corn nor the cows reacted in the slightest.  My mare Louise was a bit nervous during her hoof trimming just after the quake, but that was the only impact the quake had on my life.   Apparently various of my friends were concerned about me – sorry to have worried you all but the quake was barely felt here in Greene county.

No comments:

Blog Archive