Friday, August 31, 2012

Vacation Days–Friday

I wasn’t needed Friday morning to help with Rally setup, so I headed out on one of my favorite rides in the area.  I rode through Buena Vista, a small town I first rode through on my way to my 2nd VMA-AMA Region 13 Rally way back in 1983, and headed south by southeast on US 501 along the James River until the road intersected with the Blue Ridge Parkway. 

IMG_0953

The James River from the Blue Ridge Parkway

The ride south on the Parkway was everything anyone could ask for in a relaxing ride.  The day was partly cloudy and pleasantly cool.  The Blue Ridge was hazy as it is in late summer but overall the humidity wasn’t oppressive in the least.  And the Parkway was nearly empty, except for the occasional deer and a lone red fox. 

IMG_0956

An Overlook on the Parkway

At Va Route 43 I dropped back down into the Shenandoah Valley had lunch in Buchanan at the Copper Top Restaurant & Lounge (ie biker bar).

IMG_0957

I needed a break at this point – Route 43 is curvy in a very technical way & it has been awhile since I’ve done that kind of riding.   The burgers here are magnificent - made from local beef and come with Texas fries or onion rings plus your choice of fixings.

After lunch I headed back to the Rally site via Route 43, the Parkway, Route 53 & the South River Road.  I got there in time to help with getting stuff together.

IMG_1047

The Fire Department’s Dunk Tank was popular. 

IMG_0961

I was no longer the only camper.

IMG_0965

When I was looking for a Tour Bike back in 1990, I very nearly bought a MotoGussi California – I bought my FatBoy because I figured it would be easier to get a Harley serviced. 

IMG_0962

The Rally dinner was pulled pork BBQ, potato salad, coleslaw, backed beans, lemonade & sweet tea.  Hey, this is Virginia, did you honestly expect a summer picnic without sweet tea?

IMG_0974

As day turned into night the Blue Moon of August rose over the Blue Ridge Mountains and this tired but happy blogger turned in too – but not until after midnight.

 

No comments:

Blog Archive