Sunday, September 13, 2009

Name That Flower

My friend Gypsy Jane posts pictures of "The Yard" where her RV is parked/camped on her blog. Well here is my yard with the fire ring, hawk target wood pile and the green chair I liberated from someone else's trash. The canvas Civil War dog tent is set up so I could adjust the ropes. I had just finished the rear triangle button on end piece and was fine tuning the setup. About an hour after I took the picture I had my dinner out here. There were 2 or 3 hummingbirds about, several wrens, a blue jay and plenty of bumblebees. The hummers & bumbles were after the little yellow-orange flowers. The wrens have nests in the brush piles and the jays are looking for their next meal.

Here's a photo of the flowers which so interest the local butterflies, bumblebees & hummers. Each flower is an inch to an inch & a half in size. The green part of the plant is anywhere from 2 ft. to 6 ft. tall, very spindly and a light pale green. I would love to know what they are. I've seem them elseware, they like damp ground but seem to do equally well in full sun or open shade.

3 comments:

Gypsy Jane said...

That would be jewelweed. It's supposed to be good for poison ivy, but it didn't help mine when I tried it.

Anonymous said...

Talk to me about the tent please. How does one stay dry? Is there a way to stay off of the ground? Does a cot of some sort fit in there?

BalladSinginSue said...

To Zeus: The tent is 6 ft. long and about 4.5 ft. wide. There's a triangle shaped end piece that buttons in on the end you can't see. I used my rubber gum poncho over the open end you can see and a rubber gun blanket under me to stay passably dry when it rained. When Kat & I were Civil War reenacting regularly we also used a low to the ground Byer cot but that's hardly historically accurate.

Blog Archive