Sunday, January 3, 2010

History is Everywhere

The Commonwealth of Virginia, like many other states, puts up historic markers. These signs note some places we all read about in our history books and other places even the local folk have forgotten about. I decided that this year I'll post pictures of these Footnotes on the Past that I stumble over when they interest me. So the First Footnote of 2010 is the Eckington School.
This school is located at the junction of Mt. Pony and Blackjack roads in Culpeper county. Its currently owned by the adjacent church, which probably explains why it still exists. There isn't much around the school now, just the church and a house across Mt. Pony Road. It doesn't look like there was ever much else here but of course there could be foundations from other structures in the surrounding fields. Neither Eckington or Popular Ridge seem to exist communities anymore, not even as postal offices.

The only other one room school I've seen is located in Pierre SD, but that one was moved from its original location about 2 miles away to a city park that ran alongside the Missouri River. This building appears to be on its original site. Both buildings were very similar in size, window placement, etc., except the Pierre school was painted red.

I hope you all enjoy my Snapshots from the Past as I find and post them.

1 comment:

Gypsy Jane said...

There was a one room schoolhouse across the road from the house Jossy was born in, outside Philippi WV. Our neighbor stored hay in it but the building was still in good shape, and the chalk board was still there. Of course, that was before the flooding in 85, so I don't know if it's still there.

Blog Archive