Monday, April 25, 2011

The Yard–Tis Spring & Time for Yard Work

Last October when I came home from the OVPR a section of one of my choke cherry trees had fallen. I got the smaller limbs cut up before winter hit but really needed a chain saw to finish up the job.  My friend Lew Wenger loaned me an electric chain saw but winter kept me from working on cutting the tree up.

Tree1

  The tree section downed by wind in October.

Well the spring rain & flooding Palm Sunday weekend plus some fearsome winds brought down the other 2 sections of tree.  So now I’ve got quite a lot of tree work on my hands.

IMG_0352

The larger part of the tree downed this April.

IMG_0353

The smallest section of tree hung up as a Widow Maker

Of course before I can attack the tree I needed to attack the jungle that the rains had made of my yard. And before I could mow I had to finish stacking the pine log sections I got from Zeus & Hera (their blog names) when they moved from the Valley to southern Florida last summer. So I recycled the old pine log pile to the woods – the logs had become too rotten for hawk & knife targets – and built the new target pile. Its 5 foot at its tallest point.   Ufda.

IMG_0354

The New Hawk & Knife Target in my yard

Four hours later I managed to finish cutting the green growing Wunder Weeds the rains had fostered in my back yard.  Its truly amazing what 3 days of rain will do to my yard.  It went from I-Need-To-Mow-It-Soon to I-Should-Have-Mowed-It-Already in just 3 days !  Major muscle groups were angered  by all this Mighty Mouse work.

Yard4-24

Freshly Mowed Back Yard

Two days later I mowed it again and started trimming out the smaller limbs on the 2nd section of tree.  Now I can at least see what I’m cutting with the chain saw and the Wunder Weeds won’t take over the yard again as easily.  Several ticks were removed after all this umphing.   If I mow frequently I can keep my muscles from making ugly comments about my ancestors. 

Swing

Gypsy Jane’s Yard Swing

The front yard got mowed too and I installed the yard swing Gypsy Jane brought to use here.  The spot between the front bedroom windows is shaded by a maple tree & there’s usually a nice breeze there.   I finished the weekend out by having my first evening fire in the backyard fire ring.  The peepers, frogs & toads were in full chorus, the evening was pleasantly cool & the heavens provided a thunderstorm light show along the Blue Ridge skyline. 

I do so enjoy Spring.  Even if it always involves a great deal of Mighty Mouse work. 

1 comment:

Zeusiswatching said...

Many thanks for removing that pile of pine. It was dumped upon our property. I put some of it to work myself, but I would never have had a use for all of that wood.

Blog Archive