Thursday, June 9, 2011

If You’re Given a Lemon, Make Lemonade

The last 2 days have been ugly hot.  Too hot paddle on the river, too hot for yard work, too hot to go play with the horses, to hot to ride or even clean a motorcycle.  Heat advisories both days from before sunrise until after sunset.  I filled every water bottle I own, put them in the fridge and emptied each and every one of them at least once each day.  I have worn a wet T-shirt all day both days.  And a wet scarf on my head.  If I enjoyed heat like this I’d live in Florida.  But I didn’t get heat stress or worse and I did get things done – lots of little easy to do things that needed doing.

My file of Important Papers has all its Important Papers put into the brown 9x12 envelopes where they belong.  Stray trivial papers pretending to be Important Papers have been put where they belong in the Recycling Bag.  Both computers have the latest OS and security software updates installed, all security program scans have been run as well as various other computer housekeeping utilities.  All kinds of things sitting around in the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom have been put away. 

1812 Strap Front1812 Strap Back

Hobby projects got done too. I cut down the white leather blank I bought at the Ft. Frederick Trade Fair to fit my 1812 Virginia Militia Canteen. Here’s the front & back of the buckle end of the strap. I bought the wrong size buckle at Ft. Frederick, this is a Rev War English style buckle I’m using until I can get a proper 1.5 inch “D” buckle to replace it. I have to make a wooden stopper for this too.

1812 Militia

Here’s the whole canteen – I do have a cork to fit it so it’s usable.

Windscreen 1

I’m also working on making wind screens for the fire rings Gypsy Jane & I use at our lodges.   This is one idea – a 6”x24” piece of sheet metal held to the outside of the ring with movable metal clips. 

Windscreen2

Here’s another idea – letting the springiness of the same piece of sheet metal hold it in place on the inside of the ring.  However I finally work this out, the sheet metal will need its edges smoothed down, the corners rounded off and the whole thing painted barbeque black.

JunDoe2

It was comfortable enough under the backyard shade trees to work on the canteen strap outside today.  At one point I looked up and saw this lovely lady walking through the yard next door.  I managed to sneak into my kitchen, grab my camera, get back outside, catch sight of her again and take her picture from behind my truck.

JunDoe1

At this point Paws-in-Trouble walked across the street and the doe had to check him out.  She decided he wasn’t very scary and went back to nibbling her way into the back yard across the street.  Mind you, this is happening in broad daylight shortly after 1:30 PM.  It was definitely the high point of the day.  

I didn’t get any more trimming on the driveway pines.  I tried, but couldn’t reach where I needed to reach even with the ladder set up in my pickup truck bed.   Maybe I can reach the last few branches from the top of Gypsy Jane’s RV.  Or maybe not.  Some things are just not Hobbit things. 

There’s thunder and lightening outside, time to sign off. 

Ya All Stay Cool.

1 comment:

Zeusiswatching said...

Regards from Florida.

I like the windshield idea. I have the same concerns myself so I want to keep in touch with you about this idea.

I would think the "springiness" of the metal would be influenced with the heating and cooling of the plate. The sliding idea is intriguing.

Blog Archive