Monday, June 6, 2011

A Quiet Day at Home

The temps have been in the lowers 80’s here & yours truly is most grateful.  I worked on trimming the pines that flank both sides of my driveway.  Gypsy Jane’s Holiday Rambler is a bit wider than her Escaper, it would be nice if it cleared the trees. 

IMG_0197

Obviously I’m not quite done, there’s 2 branches on the left & 4 on the right that need trimming plus a final squaring up.  Since this is all high ladder work I cut until the height gets to me, go work on something else & then come back & trim a bit more latter.   Hobbits aren’t fond of heights.

IMG_0188

Took a ride to a few of my favorite spots in the afternoon, this was a beaver pond, the beavers seem to have left.

IMG_0189

The den is half gone & the water too.  In 2004 I spent the summer checking on this pond weekly – there was a pair of swans raising their cygnets.  Of the 8 cygnets I first saw the cob & pen managed to raise 6  fledglings & at least 4 were still around in September.

IMG_0187

This little stream feeds the area.  It held several nice rainbow trout.

IMG_0190

The South River is looking good coming out of Shenandoah National Park.  The great egret pair &  several blue heron pairs were nesting in their usual areas. 

IMG_0193

Nearby these butterflies were feasting on horse poop.  To each his own. 

There’s a spot along the South River I like to visit, its my forest quiet place.  The hills are steep & covered in cedar, the river narrow & swift moving.  After I had visited my Urchin in Japan it always seemed that if I got to this spot at just the right time of an evening & crossed over the river then there would be a narrow asphalt path up that hill abit.   That path would soon have little stone guardian figures in faded red capes, small stone shrines & signs in kanji.  If I followed that path it would take me to Minobu & then the road to my daughter in Nambu. 

Sunday evening saw a very nice lighting bug rising.  The solitary fireflies that flash 3 short horizontal blinks have now been joined by their cousins who flash a rising “J” pattern.  They were right on time, they appear June 4-6 in my yard most every year.

Handles

These are my throwing knives for rendezvous with their new leather handles I cut out from a vegetable tanned belt blank. The knives themselves are “Otters”, designed and sold by a buckskinner trader. They come in 2 sizes, I own the smaller size. These handles are slightly thicker than the original handles and completely cover the tang. (The original handles left about a quarter inch of tang exposed.)   I’ve altered my knife grip & now get a solid stick in 9 of 10 throws with almost half my throws hitting there I’m aiming.

The Goddess of Yard Sales also gifted me with a Western Digital My Book Essential 250GB external hard drive with USB cable & power supply.  Cost $2.00.  I’ve reformatted it & loaded  iTunes on it.  I really need to spent some time getting my computer files better organized, maybe the next to-hot-to-do-yard-work day.  I also got 2 nice white plastic chairs for yard sitting & lightening bug watching from a “For Free” pile of stuff.

No comments:

Blog Archive