Friday, June 17, 2011

Two Steps Forward–One Step Back

Wednesday was wonderfully productive.  My Harley & my Urchin’s Ninja have been cleaned up & both are on trickle chargers.  The eaves on the left side of the house have been washed, sanded where needed, primed were sanded & the 1st trim coat is 2/3 done.  The pine limbs that overhung the roof are partially cut back.  Various things around the yard have been cleaned up.  And there was still time for music practice in the twilight & firefly watching in the gloaming.  I did hit the bed more than a bit stiff from all the high ladder work, but a good long soak in a hot bath, aspirin & Icy Hot plus a good night’s sleep fixed that.

Trim1

The trim after the 1st coat was finished.

Thursday I got up early.  Early as in 6 AM, which is very early indeed for this night shift worker.  I went to Quicke Lube for an oil change & tire rotation on the truck & then came back to Ruckersville & got an eye exam done.  Its been 7 years, so I was way overdue on the exam.  Next month its new glasses time – woot!  The afternoon was most pleasantly spent in Fredericksburg with my friend Connie catching up on all the news.  We had lunch at this small Greek restaurant just over the river in Falmouth, its out Rte. 3 on the left before the motorcycle shop.  I highly recommend the place to all & sundry.  They have a deli, small grocery section & do take out too.    On the way home I meandered through the Chancellorsville Battlefield Park, stopping to read this or that marker & generally enjoying the afternoon as it moved into evening. 

Friday broke heavily overcast & it was quickly raining hard with lots of lightening.  Definitely not a good day to paint.   I started the Harley during one of the breaks in the rain, its running fine.  The Ninja battery wouldn’t start the bike, its only holding a 10.5 volt charge after more than 24 hours on the Battery Tender charger.  So I talked with the Urchin & then went on line to locate a Kawasaki dealer.  Found 3 within 32 miles of the house or less, called all 3 about the battery, windshield mounting hardware, an oil filter, oil & an air cleaner/battery tie down strap.  Drove over to Harrisburg, the farthest dealer but the only one who said all 5 items I wanted were in stock.  Got there & the battery was much more than they had told me on the phone (they had quoted a standard battery not a sealed battery), and they didn’t actually have the proper filter or the tie down strap in stock.  Phooey, I’m not likely to shop there much.   So I got the battery & windshield mounting hardware & drove home into another monsoon thunderstorm.  Got the battery in, the Ninja started but it won’t idle or respond to the throttle.  So a trip to my local bike mechanic is in my future.  At least he’s very good & very dependable.   But mostly I put forth much effort without much to show for it all.  I ended the day by practicing knife throwing & then watching Harry Potter #1, which redeemed the day somewhat.

No comments:

Blog Archive