Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Road Less Traveled

When I’m going to an event I tend to drive a scenic route but don’t stop or detour much – after all there’s an event at the end of the road!  But driving home is another matter, particularly if I was able to start for home early on.  I left Belle Grove about 7:30AM on Memorial Day, so I had plenty of time to meander on the way home.

Bridge1

Saw the sign for a covered bridge on US 11 & decided to check it out.  I don’t remember ever stopping at this one before.  The bridge is raised quite a bit above the road surface, so getting good photos was a challenge. 

Bridge5

Here’s the river it crosses.  A quiet scene from no particular time.

Bridge2

The bridge is currently roofed with a tin roof, I don’t know if that is “as designed” or not.  There wasn’t a historic marker with any info on the bridge.  I did find the truss system interesting.

Bridge3

The long curved truss is obviously part of the span design.

Bridge6

This shot shows the modern concrete piers in use to support the bridge.  They had to have been built under the existing bridge at some point as a renovation & preservation method.  Over all the bridge is in good condition.  It seemed a good place to fish & there was a picnic table & small parking area nearby.  I’m glad I stopped here.

No comments:

Blog Archive