Monday, May 14, 2012

American Indian Museum

For various reasons too complicated to discuss, I ended up with some time off this month.  Seeing as how time off from my work is a bit like finding hen’s teeth, I didn’t turn it down.  Believe me, I’ve plenty off leave to use & was coming up on a use or loose situation.  Besides, most of this month revolved around helping my Urchin move (see next post.)  Then my friend Gypsy Jane found herself working in the Northern VA area and thus ended up at mutual friends for a weekend.  Since I was also off that weekend we decided it was time – well past time actually - to go visit the American Indian Museum. 

IMG_0153

WOW – way better than the previous displays in the Natural History museum.  Much better lighting, better signage and larger displays.

IMG_0148

I’d read descriptions of painted skin dresses, but this was the 1st I’d ever seen.

IMG_0146

I’ve seen a few repro war shirts at rendezvous and most were well done – but here’s the real deal and its most excellently done.

IMG_0138

The displays are all full size and that gives each artifact an environment so the relationship of one thing to another makes sense. 

IMG_0141

Anyone want a complete set of teepee organizers?

IMG_0163

There’s a section dedicated to horse tack and lore. 

IMG_0156

Great Plains cultures feature large here.

IMG_0155

But French influenced work is also displayed.

IMG_0142

Metis culture gets its space too.  This is an Assumption River area sash, the sort of thing that was the height of fashion in the time & place that interests me most as a living historian.  Not that there is much call for a 1700’s era piece from the waterways of Canada here in Virginia.

IMG_0145

Anyone want the ultimate in ice fishing machinery?  This 20th century adaption of military surplus gear is another Metis invention – this time from the Lake Winnipeg area.

IMG_0157

Yes folks, that’s all quill work on this horse mask.

IMG_0165

This one is also all quill work but much newer – I loved seeing the timeline effect of older pieces alongside new ones.  The museum makes it very clear that these are living cultures.

There’s also the full range of American cultures in the museum from the Arctic to Terra Del Fuego, the Atlantic to the Pacific.  Even the ponds and garden areas outside the building are mini-ecosystems important to the First Peoples. 

This won’t be my only trip to this museum.

No comments:

Blog Archive