Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Shenandoah Long Rifle Memorial Day Weekend Rendezvous

The Urchin has done been moved and its time to gather my gear for a long weekend of camping in the woods pre 1840’s style.  The last Wednesday of May saw my gear loaded in My Faithful Mule Methuselah along with dog Sophia and her gear and the happy pair of us heading for my Urchin’s place.  Sophia was moving to Urchin’s permanently.  My 12.5 hour work schedule plus the 1.8 hour round trip commute makes for a very long night time inside for Sophia.  The Urchin works fewer hours in a shift, works days, has central air and a lovely full basement.  Sophia now has about a third of said basement as her private domain complete with her sleep cushion. 

The Urchin and I had a lovely evening just hangin’ out (as opposed to moving and unpacking) and I headed towards Belle Grove Thursday well rested and ready for a long weekend in the woods.  I stopped at the Hupp’s Hill Civil War Museum in Strasburg en route.  It’s a pleasant little museum, has both military and civilian artifacts, a very pleasant signed walking trail, and several shaded picnic tables.  Almost all of the artifacts have been donated by local families.  It was well worth the stop.

IMG_0777

I had my lodge set up by noon Thursday in a nice spot with all day shade at the range end of the camp.  I did misjudge the tree limb height in front of my lodge and there wasn’t room for my fly.  A strong breeze would have had limbs thumping the canvas and I really don’t want to be fixing honey locust thorn damage to my fly.  The weather held all weekend and I had plenty of shade so the fly really wasn’t needed.

IMG_0766

My Thursday arrival meant I was there for the opening ceremony.  It was a pleasantly casual affair with most folks gathered around in chairs in the shade.  It was a warm weekend, not as brutally hot as last year but definitely a drink-plenty-of-water warm weekend.

IMG_0770

Here’s Trina welcoming everyone under the watchful eye of the purser.  It is important to be known to the purser – he also knows first aid.

IMG_0781

Ceremonies over its on to the serious ‘Vousing.  This man is weaving a bark storage container.  He’s using a stick of firewood as a form so he can get the weaving tight and the basket consistent in shape. 

IMG_0784

Cooking is a major part of any event – this couple has a elevated brazier setup.  Cooking while sitting is much easier on the back than cooking standing bent over a ground fire.  Less smoke in the eyes too.

IMG_0788

Of course shooting is an integral part of any ‘Vous.  Paul has just finished cleaning what he calls his Ugly Gun.  If ya shoot it ya gotta clean it.  (I don’t photograph the shooting – its impolite.)

IMG_0789

Karen and  Jimmy are just shooting the breeze over crackers and cheese.

IMG_0811

Karen usually sets up at the opposite end of camp.  This year she was at my end where she figured it would be nice and peaceful.  Except everyone decided her camp was the place to hang out, so while it wasn’t the noisy camp it was a busy one.  Iche Iia,  One Blanket (Shawn) and others are planning supper. 

IMG_0797

Some folks think Rendezvousing (or buckskinning) is just a bunch of guys getting dirty in the woods – but there’s plenty of couples and families in these here shinning times.

IMG_0796

Here’s another ‘skinner couple from the camp.

IMG_0818

And yet another.  That table and chairs fold up into the box like table top. 

IMG_0812

Iche Iia & One Blanket again – solving some matter of great import I’m sure.

IMG_0793

Gypsy Jane at Seams Colonial – this trader started out with a blanket and a clothes rack.  A very good place to get powder horns and sashes as well as clothes.

IMG_0786

Of course there were trade blankets aplenty – although not by yours truly.  I need what I have and have already sold what I don’t need.

IMG_0801

Not everyone uses a canvas tent.  Matt set up this reed mat lodge.  There’s a framework of bent thin saplings under those mats.

IMG_0817

Matt also makes and shoots primitive self bows.  He’s currently working at the Frontier Culture Museum in Staunton. 

IMG_0798

Primitive archery is becoming common at rendezvous.  Its now common to see archery tackle in camp.  The owner of this quiver has been using it since he was a kid.

IMG_0800

Woven basket quivers are also popular – they dry out quickly if they get rained on, are light weight and were used by many Indian tribes who lived east of the great plains .  Gypsy Jane and I both use this type of quiver.

No comments:

Blog Archive