Friday, May 4, 2012

Little Brown Bats (I Think)

Periodically I get 4 to 8 small bats roosting in the louvers in the roof peak eves.  They don’t show up every year but if they do appear they arrive in May or early June, stay for about a week and then go to what ever other roosts these bats like.  My neighborhood has 4 or 5 dozen bats flying around grabbing dinner most evenings, so my place seems to just be a sleep stop they use now and then.  They usually use the sunny kitchen entry end of the house but have used the other shaded end twice that I know of.  They have also roosted in the shaded louvers for a week in September at least once.  It’s probably either too hot or too cold to use my eves the rest of the year.

Last year I didn’t seem to have my seasonal visitors and I rather missed them.  This year I seem to be the budget motel of choice – there were 16 to 20 bats in my kitchen side louvers today.  Enough that they were actually noisy around 7:30 pm.  Its now 9 pm and they have all gone hunting.  I’ll check on them again late tonight and early tomorrow morning.  They all seem healthy, which is a good thing what with White Nose Disease and all.  I’m fairly sure they are Little Brown Bats.

Did I mention that I really like bats?

No comments:

Blog Archive