Wednesday, October 3, 2012

October Lawn

Just some photos from around my yard as October begins.  I love October.

IMG_1144

These mushrooms favor the area around the white pines and the maple tree in the front yard.

IMG_1143

This is what they look like at maturity.  They’re only about an inch around when they first appear and about 4.5 inches in diameter fully grown..

IMG_0215

There are orb spiders around the yard from mid-April on but their numbers are largest in October.  This nest is about 7 inches in diameter.  Soon I should come home to nests like this all over my yard.

IMG_0216

As the days get cooler more critters sun themselves on the side of my house.  I wish this granddaddy long legs liked stinkbugs for dinner. 

IMG_0208

There are plenty of stinkbugs to go around.  The day Da Urchin & I went car shopping (Da Urchin got a silver Subaru Advante AWD) there were over a hundred of these obnoxious things on the side of the house.

IMG_0211

There are also some awesomely large spider webs made by some not very large spiders.  This little lady is less than half an inch around but her web is over 2 feet in diameter and is at least 6 feet from its nearest anchor tree. 

Yard mowing will end soon as the leaves here are beginning to turn.  I haven’t had to turn the heat on yet but I did get out the flannel sheets.  Unfortunately I am working on Halloween – but there’s another Rendezvous on the way and plenty of fall days between now and then.

Have I mentioned how much I love October?

No comments:

Blog Archive