Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Bad Weather = Good Project Time

Well the cut short OVPR Rendezvous was a disappointment, but it did give me an extra 2 days to work on projects.  So Saturday I unloaded the mule, cleaned everything, sorted and repacked my gear, and then moved onto getting ready for Sandy.  I reinstalled the storm windows on the house, moved the motorcycle trailers onto the gravel by the kitchen door, moved the utility trailers onto the side yard away from the trees, and generally went around and secured anything loose so it wouldn’t blow around.  That evening I cleaned house and painted a King’s Broad Arrow and “GR” on one of my haversacks.

1780 British

British Rev War Haversack

Sunday was cloudy but there was almost no wind and no rain so I headed off to groom and otherwise spend time with the horses Irish and Louise.  Both horses are growing a nice winter coat and were very frisky in the cool weather. 

Aprons

Aprons

Sunday evening I finished putting Sno-Seal on my camp shoes and then cut out 2 aprons and put 1 of them together on Monday and the other on Tuesday.  I also got a belt made, to be put on my trade blanket next season, and started on another belt for myself. 

Belt2Sell1Belt2Sell2

Trade Blanket Belt                            Buckle Stitching Detail

The Trade Blanket Belt is 50 inches long and 1.5 inches wide.  It adjusts from 40 to 46 inches but could have holes added for a smaller waist.

I’ve decided that by spring I want to have 4 full sets of Euro-American attire put together.  I’ve now got 4 aprons, 2 bodices, 1 set of stays, 2 shifts and 2 skirts.  I’ve already got the material for 2 more skirts and another bodice but I’ll need to get material for more shifts.  I’m about to be a sewing fool.  The Mad Stitcher strikes!  Truly Hansoon Lives! 

Oh, as for Sandy – it rained here steadily from Sunday night until sometime early Tuesday morning.  It was a bit windy, with a few nasty gusts but that’s all.  No snow, no power outage, no downed limbs.  Deo Gratias.

No comments:

Blog Archive