Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Fort Frederick Juried Trade Fair

The Fort Frederick Trade Fair has been held yearly since 1995.  From 1996 until 2004 I was there every spring for 4 days of Shop-Till-Ya-Drop fun & frolic.  Most years Shelby’s Volunteers (my F&I/Rev War civilian militia unit) was there too.  We had grand times.  Then things got squirrely for a few years.  The time period and geographic area covered(historically speaking that is) got narrower and both traders & campers were tightly juried.  The jury rules kept changing and I just considered it more trouble than it was worth to attend.  Well things have settled down now mostly and while I haven’t gone back yet as a camper I have gone as a day tripping photographer and shopper. 

FFTF13 (2)

Frank as a Colonial Civilian

One pull to return is to see old friends.  I met Frank in the 2nd Rhode Island Volunteers Co. F, my Civil War living history and reenacting unit.  He’s the one who got me to time travel back another century into the 1740-1780 period.  Thank you Frank.  Its scoodles of fun and not as physically demanding as being a soldier wearing a dark blue wool sack coat and sky blue wool pants under a hot Virginia sun.  Of course I’ve made all sorts of new friends in the 18th century.

FFTF13 (1)

Missy Clark (far left) of Barkertown Sutler

Missy makes all sorts of everyday clothes for both men and women.  Fancy duds are available made to fit as are common clothes if her standard sizes don’t work for your body.  My bodices, stays and a shift have all come from her hand.  I can sew both by hand and machine but only made about half of the period clothes I have.  With a full time job there really isn’t always time to properly make the more intricate items.  Plus its often more cost efficient to buy things from sutlers or the trade blankets put out by private individuals. 

FFTF13 (32)

Beaver Bill & His New Book on Spike Tomahawks

Of course there are a great many more crafts in the 18th century than any one person can pursue.  Bill makes reproduced from original artifact knives, hawks and other sharp cutting implements.  My two favorite camp knives came from his shop.

FFTF13 (31)

Beaver River Trading Company

Ft. Vause is another of my favorite places to shop.  Of course it helps that it’s run by 2 of my favorite people, Henry & Deborah. 

OVPR 2012a

Henry & Deborah of Ft. Vause

FFTF13 (49)

Part of Henry’s Products

Henry is primarily a leather worker.  Cartridge boxes, valise, shoot pouches, you name it, he can probably make it in a proper historic method for its era. 

FFTF13 (44)

Anvils & Swage Blocks from Ft. Vause

Henry also sells anvils and swage blocks for folks who do metal work.

FFTF13 (42)

Rolling Pins and Pottery

Ft. Vause also had a lovely table of pottery and rolling pins for the 18th century homestead.

FFTF13 (47)

Buckles & Buttons Cast from Original Pieces

Henry has high quality buckles and buttons too for the craftsman or your custom piece made by Henry himself.  Some of these can be found on a belt and some straps I made.

FFTF13 (15)

Mark Thomas – Gun Stocker & Engraver

Mark was demonstrating engraving at the Fair.  And yes it was warm enough to go barefoot on the day I was there.  Mark made my rifled fowler.

FFTF13 (20)

Tom of Mountain Forge

Tom is an OVPR regular on their trader’s row.  He offers a real general store of goods for the 18th century aficionado.  I originally met him at OVPR and look forward to shopping at his tent.  He generally has that little thing I was looking for at just the right time.  And a super selection of hard candies.

FFTF13 (25)

Dulcimer Dave

I did meet Dave at my 1st Ft. Fred Trade Fair.  Back then my lodge consisted of a Civil War Dog Tent, a straw filled mattress ticking, 3 off white wool blankets with thin blue stripes at each end and a candle lantern.  My cookware was a cup, a pint kettle with lid, a wooden spoon, a French trade knife and a twisted wire fork.  The cup and kettle were made by Peter Goebels of Goose Bay.  The cup, kettle and knife were all bought at that 1st trade fair.  I still have all 3 items and use them regularly.

FFTF13 (26)

Mary, Wife of Dave Hard at Work

Of course there’s all sorts of fantastic traders here who I don’t personally know.  I would dearly love one of these painted floor mats for my lodge.

FFTF13 (23)

Painted Canvas Floor Covering

And another fine long gun or two.

FFTF13 (29)

Various Smoothbores

FFTF13 (28)

Partially Finished Guns Needing Final Finishing

FFTF13 (39)

Even More British Muskets

For the more civilian buyer there is always fine tin lined copperware.  There are 2 coffeepots and a kettle or two here that could follow me home anytime.

FFTF13 (10)

Westminster Forge Copperware

How about some fine furniture for the parlor.

FFTF13 (6)

Plus some equally lovely furniture and such like for the bedroom and ladies workroom.  Although a poor farmer’s widow such as myself could never aspire to own such things.

FFTF13 (27)

All this 18th century finery in one place is enough to wear one out.  So perhaps a nap is in order.

FFTF13 (16)

Sleeping Girl

Some folks you buy from on a website only to meet up with at one event or another later on.  I have a small leather belt pouch for my guitar picks etc. I ordered from Pepe’s Possibles, a web site I found on a web ring.  Several years later I actually met Pepe.  We still need to get together sometime for the song jam I promised him.

FFTF13 (38)

Pepe’s Possibles

Like Henry, Pepe works in leather but he makes mostly shooting bags, belt pouches, belts, straps and portmanteaus.  He also does custom work. 

I was only able to go to the Fair for one day, but it was a grand day.  I bought a French flag for my camp, an early 1820s small coffee pot (for my Ohio River boatman impression as well as my morning coffee), a linen haversack kit and some buttons.  And I may yet decide its worth it to apply and actually attend the fair one year.

No comments:

Blog Archive