Tuesday, April 2, 2013

There I Fixed It

As you My Faithful Loyal Readers may remember, I had the driver’s side mirror smashed before the Ides of March.  I Gator Taped the mirror back in place but that was a stop gap measure.

Ouch1

Obviously this mirror isn’t going to give a good mirror image of much of anything, although it was enough to get on down the road.

WELL I FIXED IT !

I bought a replacement mirror through Amazon.com, read my Haynes manual for Methuselah the Awesome Chevy 2500 Express Cargo Van (aka “The Mule”), and consulted with Wandering John.  Wandering John in particular was very helpful. 

IMG_0187

Helpful Wandering John

And here it is, The New Mirror all installed and everything.  The power & defrost hookups work.

Ouch4

Now its an after market mirror, so its not optically nice as a GM mirror.  The all plastic construction does vibrate a bit when I’m driving down the road too.  But it was less than half the cost of a recycled mirror assembly from an auto scrapyard and less than a quarter of the cost of a new unit from GM.  I’m happy, I spent less than $50, the van is fixed, and I can always get a recycled unit later if I want.  The Haynes manual has also now paid for itself. 

NO APRIL FOOL HERE

Storm2

My Faithful Loyal Readers will also remember the mess the last 2 snow storms made in my yard.  White pine limbs & branches EVERYWHERE!  Well its not all cleaned up yet, but it’s a job well started.

WoodCut1

The front yard has been cleared out of all the downed wood from the storm.  The brushy piles on the left will get burned out back on a windless day.  The heavier wood on the right will get cut up by the Mighty Chain Saw for use in the Backyard Fire Ring. 

WoodCut2

Unfortunately I’m not done with Basic Cleanup as yet.  The side & backyard areas haven’t been worked on as yet.  But what doesn’t get started doesn’t get done.  Plus I’m trying to work until I’m slightly sore but stop before I’m wicked sore. 

MIGHTY MOUSE LIVES!

No comments:

Blog Archive