Thursday, March 28, 2013

Plunder Plunder Plunder

The Spring OVPR was cold – not the coldest ever but cold enough to be unpleasant.  And I’ve not owned much in the way of cold weather gear, what with needing to stay cool in 90+ heat by Memorial Day and all.  Well no more my friends, no more.

WSFront

Wool Shirt Front

WSBack

Wool Shirt Back

What I have here is a nice warm 14 oz. wool hunting shirt with a single cape.  It’s a nice tan & dark brown twill pattern and comes to just below my knee.  The sleeves are a bit long (sleeves are always a bit long on me unless I’ve made the garment) but I don’t care because its roasty toasty warm.  The cape is even large enough to flip up over my neck & head for even more toasty warms.  (I do plan on adding some ties or hook & eyes to keep the cape up around my head & neck.) 

Now some of my faithful readers may remember that I bought a brown canvas duck cloth weskit several years back at an EPR.  Well now I own the coat to match it.

Coat Front

Canvas Duck Cloth Coat Front

CoatBack

Canvas Duck Cloth Coat Back

The coat comes a little farther below my knee than the wool shirt and is lined to the waist with the same fabric.  Talk about windproof – the cold may creep in but no wind is getting through this fabric.  The pocket flaps on the front have real pockets under them too (many period pocket flaps are just for show, they don’t cover an actual pocket).  The wool shirt won’t fit under this coat but my weskit does.  Talk about toasty!  Plus I plan to Scotch Guard the coat thoroughly for rainy situations. 

HalfMoon

British Half Moon 1 qt. Canteen

Two years ago I had my dining fly go down in a hard wind at the spring OVPR.  Unfortunately the fly ridge pole was cracked and one of my canteens was crunched also.  Both needed to be replaced.  I made a new ridge pole for the fly before my next event.  Well the damaged canteen has now been replaced too.  I can once again have a full gallon of drinking water in my camp without needing to have said water in the plastic container it was sold in.

Now not all Rendezvous plunder is purely practical. 

BoxTop

Baba Yaga’s Chicken Footed Hut

This little box is made of carved birch bark.  Baba Yaga is the Slavic witch of all witches who lives in the deepest darkest woods in a small hut which follows her around on its 2 chicken legs.  Very handy, wherever she goes she’s always home. 

BoxSide1

Part of the Side of the Box

These boxes are traditionally decorated on the top, all sides and the bottom of the inside.

BoxSide2

Another Part of the Side of the Box

I gave Da Urchin one of these carved boxes for Christmas several years ago.  This is the 1st one I’ve ever gotten for myself.  I just couldn’t pass on Baba Yaga’s hut! 

IMG_0272

The Inside of the Box

I’m also back in project mode.  Here’s 2 knife sheaths I re-stitched.  The linen thread in both of them needed replacing. 

Sheaths

No comments:

Blog Archive