Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Camping We Will Go















A Camping We Will Go
A Camping We Will Go
Hi Ho the Derry-O
A Camping We Will Go



Part of the reason I pushed to get the house painting project solidly started was so I could go camping with my friend Jane. So Thursday morning I cleaned up my kitchen then packed up my modern camping gear, the long bows with their tackle and my guitar for 3 nights and 2 days of R&R at the Izaac Walton League site near Lynchburg. Jane got there first and had her RV all kitted out when I got there. But it didn't take me long to set my traps up while Jane cooked us venison burgers, fresh veggies and other wonderous stuffs. Then we got right into the serious camp work of making music around a campfire.

Friday saw Jane and getting down to the really really serious business of camping - fletching arrows for my Genesis modern bow, eating fresh blueberries with yogurt for breakfast, swimming in the IWLL lake, shooting the aforementioned bows, paddling on the lake, collecting ripe blackberries from the lakeside bushes via canoe and of course eating more great food. Night fall found us again at fireside making more music with a full moon and fireflies in attendance. Saturday was more of the same with a potluck camp meal to bring things to a close. After the dinner some other campers gave us a how-down of country classics from the likes of Johnny Cash and Jimmy Rogers as well as the country gospel tradition. A good time was had by all and sundry.

No comments:

Blog Archive